Monday, February 23, 2009

The Bagel Shop

So I'm pretty much obsessed with bagels. To say the least. On the weekends when I wake up all I really want is a nice warm bagel toasted to a light golden brown lightly lathered with cream cheese. Honestly I don't really have a favorite type of bagel or cream cheese but have you ever observed the selection. Every time I go to Noah's or a corner cafe I study the baskets of different bagels behind the warm glass and try to make a decision. This takes me a couple of minutes. There's the plain bagel, which I am a fan of but it is kind of plain, there's onion, asiago cheese, chocolate chip, blueberry, cinnamon sugar, sun-dried tomato, sesame, egg, poppy seed, garlic, whole grain, and of the everything bagel. Now how am I supposed to make a decision with so many inviting choices. Usually I'll go with the everything, or the poppy seed, or the onion bagel, now and then I will be boring and get the plain bagel but I usually spice it up with a zesty cream cheese. Which brings me to my next dilemma, which cream should I top my bagel with?? Obviously there's plain, then there's blueberry, garden veggie, garlic herb (a personal favorite), honey almond, jalapeno salsa, maple raisin walnut, onion & chive, strawberry, sun dried tomato basil, and smoked salmon. Now I like to think of myself as an adventurous person but I can't say that I branched out to try each on of these shmears. Plain, sun-dried tomato basil, garlic herb, and onion & chive are the ones I stick to.
So what sparked this bagel craze? Bagels have been around for decades and with the years and as we as a society became more cultured, acquiring new and different tastes, the simple and plain bagel revolutionized with innovative flavors along with the shmears. Not to mention the other breakfast bagels, which is much like a sandwich or breakfast on a bagel. The breakfast bagel contains egg, sausage, and any other breakfast entity that you desire. There's pizza bagels, bagel dogs, and sandwich bagels which is practically a sandwich but on a bagel rather than your usual bread. 
With this wide selection and tasty options it is a wonder of mine that there are people out there who dislike bagels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment